Friday, June 1, 2007

Jonah : Not just the fish guy. Part 1

I am a Republican. Originally learned from my parents, my political leanings were solidified once I left college and actually saw how much of my paycheck was taken directly out of my pocket by a larger than necessary federal government. Since Reagan, a large part of the Republican platform has been strong defense which ideologically leads to some pretty intense nationalism and patriotism. Oddly enough, it seems the church has also adopted an almost iconic view of "America the beautiful" and the majority of Christians view the nation as a natural extension of the will of the Almighty. Honestly, most of us feel as strongly about our nation, especially when it comes to the support of our troops, as we feel about our Savior.

Can you imagine how this feeling would be exponentially multiplied if America was the Earthly representation of Christianity? How would it change our view towards Muslim nations with dominant factions bent on our destruction? An attack on the American people would be viewed as a direct attack on our God and we (as Christians) would be a ferocious enemy because we would be ferociously committed to the God of our nation.

With that in mind, look at the story of Jonah. He was a prophet to the Jews and one day God spoke to him and told him to go preach a "get right" message to Ninevah. Ninevah was big, real big. It was the capital of Assyria which was the enemy nation to Jonah's homeland. I can't imagine. If Jonah does what God asks, he can see 2 and only 2 possible outcomes; the first would end with his very quick demise because the Ninevites could kill him on site - the second and more feared option from Jonah's point of view was that the Ninevites would actually repent and that God would bless them and forgive their sin (if the capital of Assyria is blessed then the Assyrians as a whole are blessed and you have just put your enemy nation in a position to absolutely crush your own people - in fact, Assyria will soon destroy Israel so Jonah's fear will come to fruition). Jonah's dilemma was a choice between obeying God and in doing so, destroy the earthly representation of God, or disobey God and save the lives of a million of his fellow Jews.

No wonder he ran to Tarshish. Jonah was taking the brunt of God's wrath for his disobedience as far away from his beloved nation as possible. Tough call, pretty selfless; almost heroic in a national context.

I have to watch my tendency to pledge my allegiance to America and neglect my allegiance to my true King. I have to confess that the whole "Go into all the world" command has yet to penetrate my thinking, much less my actions. Perhaps "God bless America" is not the request we should make of him...

3 comments:

mmlace said...

Wow. Excellent thoughts, thanks for making a unique modern-day application of Jonah. Oooh, Part 1? Does this mean I can anticipate a part two??? :)

mmlace said...

Oh, and for some interesting discussion on loyalty to our nation versus loyalty to our God, check out Mike Cope's blog.

mitch said...

Dude, you have a blog! That's cool and I had no idea, but now I've added you to my list of subscriptions on bloglines.com, so from now on I'll be scrutinizing your every word. ;) I enjoyed your thoughts and also appreciate your comment on our team blog. Later, bro.