Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Word on Bonds, Vick and other Folks Who Refuse to Use Their Noggins

Barry Bonds is the second best hitter I've ever seen. He's about to break the "most hallowed record in all of sports". This record, the all-time homerun record, is currently held by Hank Aaron. Bonds will probably surpass Aaron's 755 career dingers by the end of next week. The vast majority of baseball fans groan at the sound of his name because...1. He's kind of a jerk. and 2. There is significant physical evidence that Bonds abused anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances. (By the by, Alex Rodriguez is the best hitter I've ever seen and probably the best to ever play the game.)

Michael Vick is one of, if not, the best athlete to ever play football. In the last week or so, he has been indicted by a Grand Jury (whatever that means), asked by the commissioner of his industry to not come to work, and had his second largest source of income pull the plug on their business relationship (I'm refering to his relationship with Nike). He is allegedly involved heavily in the breeding, training, and fighting of pit bulls for profit. Between you and me, I can think of only 2 crimes more putrid and repugnant to me personally and I don't wish to discuss either of them. (Dog-fighting.....ugh)

Some National Basketball Association referee has been accused of fixing games for some goons in the mob. It seems the majority of people care nothing for professional basketball and I honestly count myself among them.

It would seem that unmatched athletic talent and dominating the top tier of your chosen profession cannot buy you enough sense to make normal daily decisions. It is a good thing I am short, quasi-uncoordinated, and only a mediocre accountant. I'm good to go...

3 comments:

mmlace said...

Whew! Sounds like I'm good to go, then, too!

Deborah said...

Okay, I have absolutely no intelligent comment to make about sports (Pat can attest to that. I just wrote in to tell you that I cracked up at your comment on my blog!! You are so clever.

Todd Ramsey said...

Alan, don't sell yourself short. You graduated from Harding. You're probably at least a passable accountant.