Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bits and Pieces

Mark Teixeira makes his debut for the Braves tonight. Baseball is a habit that I've tried to kick multiple times before but it seems to be hardwired into my genetic makeup so I have chosen to let it be. Yesterday's MLB trade deadline brought the Atlanta Braves a switch-hitting young first baseman with power and a bullpen setup man with a very live arm and a late breaking fastball (If you don't know baseball, these are good things) My Braves are now a consensus World Series contender so if all goes well, I may be making a rather expensive trip to the ATL in late October. I can only hope.

I am an auditory learner. The vast majority of teachers in my elementary and secondary education circles only catered to the 90% of students that are visual learners. I don't blame them. Most of them are good people with difficult jobs. I figured out my learning style as a senior in calculus when Anita Davis at Central Arkansas Christian High School actually took the time to teach the auditory kids (Aside from my parents, she was the best teacher I've ever had - She didn't teach higher math, she taught me how to think.). Anyway, the majority of Bible study methods are designed by and for visual people so I've been out of luck until the advent of recent technology. The Apple computer people, with the invention and incredibly successful marketing of the Ipod and all its subsidiaries, have put an endless library of sermon audio at my slightly uneven earlobes. The Ipod for an auditory learner has the same unmatched potential that Johann Gutenberg's moveable type machine had for you visual people. I have been able to find some very knowledgable and Godly teachers throughout the country who have already begun to aid my spiritual development. Matt Chandler at the Village Church, Mark Driscoll at Mars hill in Seattle, and Rob Bell in Grand Rapids are a couple of guys I listen to. My personal disdain for the style of Joel Osteen should not preclude me from mentioning him here. Swindoll and Piper can also be found. Others include Erwin McManus and Rick McKinley but Matt Chandler is my personal favorite because he doesn't take himself too seriously. Podcasts are the future of auditory Bible study. If you've got a high speed internet connection, go to the Apple website and download the free Itunes software, hit the podcasts and grow your library. By the by, it's free. so that's nice. Who do you listen to?

The Presidential 2008 race is starting to heat up for both parties. Obama would be an interesting choice for the dems as he seems to be the only one willing to actually follow through on his Iraq evacuation rhetoric. I'm not sure what is going on with the republicans. I like Fred Thompson but he's not officially in yet. Either way, I think America will be just fine...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try Chris Seidman especially his MP3 series that began in January.
http://www.thebranch.org/chrislibrary.htm

Anonymous said...

Seidman's MP3 series began last August.

Alan said...

Thanks Vic

mitch said...

Hey bro. One of the best preachers out there that I've heard is Mike Cope from the Highland Church of Christ in Abilene. You can subscribe to their church's podcast where you'll find sermons from not only Cope, but also other ACU profs like Jerry Taylor, Jack Reese, Mark Love, and more. Check it out (and thanks for your recent comment on my blog).

Anonymous said...

Its interesting that you like guys like Chandler and Driscoll if you are in the Church of Christ camp? How can you like the preaching of those who have a different Gospel? i.e. Faith alone.

Alan said...

I see your point, Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. or Miss or Dr. Anonymous; and there is some validity in your statement. I am, and continue to be, in the "Church of Christ camp". Both Chandler and driscoll have said things with which I disagree. But, I make it a point not to discount the whole message based on a small portion of dischord. If it is my practice to only listen to those with whom I fully agree, I'll end up only conversating with myself and that is a tell-tale sign of lunacy. As for the "different Gospel", I think I disagree with the premise of the statement. Each of these guys preaches the same gospel and it is the Gospel that I share. I have to confess that I'm somewhat confused by your description of this different gospel as "faith alone". Perhaps a more broad explanation of what you mean could help me to clear the mirky waters? I am, after all, still a student...

Sam said...

Have you read any McLaren? If so, what were your thoughts? If not, you should. He is challenging to say the least.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Anonymous will do. ;)

Well Mars Hill Says:
Salvation
We believe that salvation is the gift of God brought to man by grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whose precious blood was shed on Calvary for the forgiveness of our sins (Ephesians 2:8–10; John 1:12; Ephesians 1:7; 1 Peter 1:18–19).

The Village (Chandler) Says:
MAN’S RESPONSE TO THE GOSPEL

Man’s response to the gospel is rooted and grounded in the free and unconditional election of God for His own pleasure and glory. It is also true that the message of the gospel is only effectual to those who genuinely repent of their sins and by God’s grace put saving faith in Christ. This gospel of grace is to be sincerely preached to all men in all nations. Biblical repentance is characterized by a changed life, and saving faith is evidenced by kingdom service or works. While neither repentance nor works save unless a person is willing to deny himself, pick up his cross, and follow Christ, he cannot become His disciple.

Note the absence of Baptism from either of these statements of Faith.



ACU Statement:
We affirm the Lordship of Christ and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which comes to the believer through baptism for remission of sins.
http://www.acu.edu/faith.html


The postion of Driscoll and and Chandler (Faith alone saving aprt from any work including baptism) is very different from the ACU's (Church of Christ) position, otherwise known as Baptismal-Regeneration.

Does this help explain what I mean by different Gospel's

One position says Faith in the finished work of Christ (Gospel) saves the believer. (Driscoll & Chandler)

The other:
Faith in the Gospel + Baptism = Salvation


Does that make sense of what I was trying to say?

Alan said...

Good thoughts, Doc. I'll try to respond in a little more depth this evening.

Sammer. I finished "The Secret Message of Jesus" last week. It was a good read. McLaren is intriguing to me. I'm in the middle of Piper's "Desiring God". I'll let you know what I think...

Sam said...

Ooo. I've been thinking about picking that Piper book up. Let us know.

Alan said...

Baptism is essential (With that statement, my CofC street cred should be re-established). Every New Testament conversion story, except one, carries immersion as a neccessary step in the process of salvation.

Chandler and The Village Church practice baptism and he regularly makes mention of it as a key component of what the evangelical folks generally refer to as "getting saved". Besides, this is not gospel. This is man's response to the gospel. 1 Cor 15 is gospel and we preach the same one they do...

But, whatever our differences are,(and there are plenty) there are still things we can learn from our trans-denominational brothers.