Thursday, January 17, 2008

Book Review

I don't normally review anything I read. There are 2 reasons for this. One is that I read some weird stuff and it might be somewhat embarrassing for my wife if all her friends knew how much of a nerd I really am. Second is that I might one day author something I'd like to publish. Dean Koontz says that authors should never review the work of other authors in their same genre because writers are pretty sensistive about their works. So, I don't do reviews because I don't want to burn any bridges, you know, just in case.

But, I finished a book last night about which I can find nothing negative to say. The Shack by William Young is very very good. In Christian Fiction, there is an immense amount of garbage; tons of warped theology and things that make you scratch your head and wonder if the writer has ever read any Bible. This one is different. It is rare that you come across actual profundity and original creative thought but both fill the pages of this little story.

It's about how we process grief. A good portion of the story is gut-wrenching, which is how grief works. That's it. Young is good. He takes a shot at quasi-explaining the concept of Trinity. Pretty quick read with chapters spaced at a perfect length. This book has shifted a few theological paradigms for me. You should read it........right now. Go.

1 comment:

Hope Steele said...

the mesh opening at xlOO or x1000 (Fig. Another time when hormonal changes are to blame is usually a few months after childbirth. Best AmScope Stereo Binocular Dissecting Microscope, 20x 30x 40x 60x -This binocular stereo microscope comes with four magnification power settings, 20X,30X,40X,60X, and a versatile illumination system that provides both incident(top)lighting and transmitted(bottom The past of the company is not less interesting than its present. And nothing is more important to quality control than the consistent use of a microscope.