Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fraternity

A few years ago, my brothers convinced me to run a half-marathon with them in Nashville. It was terrible and wonderful. For a week after the alleged "race", I couldn't feel my legs. We had a good time and we all finished. I like hanging out with those boys. A few weeks ago, Jared and Travis called with a new proposal. Tomorrow, we begin the Brothers Gable Book Club. I know it sounds a bit hokey but it's all we've come up with right now. The rules/guidelines of this club of clubs are as follows:
Each Brothers Gable Book Club season lasts 24 months (This being the inaugural season).
Each brother chooses 8 books per season. Each of us will read all 24 books chosen.
The original rules as dictated to me were that no book could cover more than 300 pages. (I laughed in the face of this literary mockery. 300 pages is an essay. This guideline has since been done away with because adults read large books without pretty pictures. Sissies.)
No books about baseball. (This rule obviously runs counter to my better judgment but I allowed it.)
No textbooks.
Jared strongly suggested no John Grisham.
It is suggested that each list contain at least one selection that is just for fun. Also, suggested is a biographical book of some sort.
Each book must cost less than $25. (One of Jared's selections violates this rule but he may be receiving some sort of royalty from Doc Olree)
Lists are left open-ended for the possibility of new arrival books coming out during the 24 months.

The basic framework: Every quarter, all three brothers choose a book from their designated list. During the first month of that quarter, the brother will read his chosen and then pass it to one of the others for the next month. As he is reading, he will document his brilliant thoughts pertaining to his specific book. (At some point in the near future, there will be a destination on the world wide web for each brother to post his thoughts. We will seek to expound, reject or belittle each author's writings without giving away any major plot points or surprise endings. This should not be too difficult because we each have pretty much stayed away from fiction.) That is it.

Our lists don't really reflect any deep psychological tendencies or anything. Just some things we each would like to read and a couple that will expand our worldview.
Take a look at my list here.
Travis's list here. He's on an "emergent" kick. I'm especially excited about the Biff book.
Jared's list here. Jared is a lawyer and his list leans toward philosophy/legal/history. Should be fun.

(I don't really need a reason to read but anything that keeps us connected is worth it.)
Feel free to follow along. It should be interesting.

7 comments:

mmlace said...

Sounds like a great idea. I like Travis' list, it looks really good!

~Erin said...

I LOVE this idea, and I'm super impressed with each of your book selections. It is so funny that each list reveals quite a bit about each of your personalities. I look forward to updates as you embark on this journey together. It makes me wish I had 2 brothers...oh wait, I have 1 brother. Maybe we'll try this when he gets out of college?

Anonymous said...

Duh......your poor old auntie feels like a "lite-weight" with you cerebral gable guys......Hey that could be the name of your group.

Unknown said...

I don't know what I was thinking with the 300-page limit rule. I didn't even follow my own rule. Only 25% of my 8 selections fall under the 300 pages. Silly.

Tammie's Thoughts said...

What a great way to stay connected! Have fun reading and discussing!

Todd Ramsey said...

Thank you for my presidential endorsement. I look forward to your support not only this election (which I have entered too late perhaps) but in the coming elections as well.

Cheers!

TREY MORGAN said...

I've run a half and full marathon so I know the time you put in training for yours. That being said, I think the book club will take more time than the half marathon training. Probably won't hurt as much either.