Monday, February 11, 2008

Pineapple

I was inspired by one of the doctors with whom my wife works to grow some pineapples. Thanks Dr. T.
Step 1 - Twist the top green leafy part off of a pineapple and pull the bottom layer of leaves off. This will reveal the brown seedling things.
Step 2 - Place these in water for a few weeks until they begin to root.
Step 3 - Once rooted, plant these things.
Step 4 - Wait forever. Provide sufficient water. Make sure they don't die.

I'm on step 2ish. They have begun to root, but they appear to be turning a little brown. Not sure how this is going to turn out. Here are some pictures:






In a tropical climate, it takes about a year and a half to grow one pineapple. Here in Arkansas, it'll probably be closer to 2 years. We'll see.

8 comments:

JB said...

Maybe you should read to them. I hear it helps.

Unsinkable Kristen said...

Ugh. Now I have to try this.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I just watched an episode of Mr. Wizard.

Megan said...

That is so cool. I so could have used this when I taught 7th grade science. :)

Brandi said...

Thanks for sharing, Alan! Krisi has been telling us how bad they look, but I think you're making progress. I think you and Dr. T have inspired us all!

Tammie's Thoughts said...

I love pineapples! You know they are the southern symbol of hospitality...Hope they both grow big and strong!

TREY MORGAN said...

You are a patient man, my friend. I'd do it for about a week and then forget about them.

Keep us posted. I'm curious!

Hart said...

Ugh. Now I have to try this.