Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shorn Domes and Anti-Inflammation

A few weeks ago, I was priviledged to be able to shave my brother's head. This ritual cleansing was necessary for Jared for many reasons including but not limited to peace in the Middle East and as a protest against global deforestation. Here are a few pictures of the sexy devil.



As payment for allowing me to weild the pet clippers, Jared has forced me to follow the "Anti-Inflammatory Diet" for 4 weeks. Dr. Asa Andrew of Nashville, TN is the author of the diet as well as his book Empowering Your Health. The basic premises of the anti-inflammatory diet are that large portions of the American diet cause inflammation in the digestive tract which manifests itself throughout the body in the form of different ailments and many well known diseases. The main culprets, according to Dr. Asa, are processed sugars (duh), cow's milk dairy products, and wheat. All meals on the anti-inflammatory diet consist of equal portions of good healthy fats, low glycemic carbohydrates, and lean proteins. Good foods include eggs(yolk and all), lean organic meats, vegetables, low glycemic fruits(berries), goat's milk products, nuts (except for peanuts). Bad foods include breads, pasta, peanuts, soy of any kind, pork, shellfish, potatoes, corn, twinkies. In addition to diet alterations, the anti-inflammatory diet includes the foundational 4 supplements: cod liver oil(liquid form), whole food multivitamin, digestive enzymes, and something called Probiotic. Dr. Asa's claims are sometimes wild and extreme which originally lead me to question his medical legitimacy. But, to argue with results is generally unwise. After 2 weeks, I've lost weight, my moods have stabilized to where I am generally happy, my concentration level has increased, I sleep more soundly, and I've had no problems with my allergies even after mowing the yard. Perhaps this man is on to something. If you have a health concern from arthritis to fibromyalgia, the anti-inflammatory diet is at least worth looking into. I feel great.


P.S. You can find out more by getting the doctor's book or listening to his podcast, Dr. Asa On Call. Very interesting radio show...

Let me know if you have any questions.

4 comments:

mmlace said...

Hey...he looks like you! :)

The White's said...

Wow, Alan, maybe you should consider shaving your head as well!
Jared looks pretty good!! LOL
Jill

~Erin said...

I have to say, I like the dome, but...Jared...grow out your hair again. Enjoy it while you still have it :)

Moore said...

Wow, Alan, maybe you should consider shaving your head as well! Jared looks pretty good!! LOL Jill