Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ike

My mother has a beach house in Surfside Beach, Texas. Surfside is a nice little place to the immediate west of Galveston. It is one of my top 5 favorite places on the planet. This has less to do with the location and more to do with the fact that I see my favorite people when I'm there. Grandparents, Aunt and Uncle and cousins as well as the rest of the Brothers Gable are the usual suspects. It has meant much to me because it is a place that represents the entirety of my family. As I've gotten a little older, I've been confronted with a reality that never ocurred to me as a little dude; that as families grow, it becomes much more difficult to find times when everyone can get together. The beach house in Texas carries some rich memories of the times we were all together.

As you know, Hurricane Ike swept through recently and really jacked the entire area. Thought you might be interested in seeing some before and after pictures of the beach house.

This is Pre-Ike. Yeah, that's snow. That was a weird Christmas when it snowed in South Texas.



Rear View Pre-Ike. Notice the siding in tact as well as the lack of telephone poles on the ground.



View down the boardwalk from the deck.



Post Ike. The beachfront migrated closer to the house and the boardwalk (see above) is either underwater or taken somewhere else.


She may be leaning a bit here.

We're hopeful that repairs can be made but we still don't know much. Either way, the God of Heaven gave us some great times in the beach house and they are memories that I'll store away for the rest of my life.

7 comments:

~Erin said...

Oh, I'm teary as I read this post. Maybe the house itself is not leaning, but the other houses are. Wouldn't that make sense? I hope the house is not lost, but I guess that is why our treasures are in heaven!

Anonymous said...

I'm focusing on just the porch leaning.......we can build a new porch, right? I think we should start a stream of our favorite beach memories. I'll start....Game night... one of the most recent ones involved playing Curses (Trey's new game). We laughed all the way through it. Arghhhhh ye landlubbers......NO, NO, Ike can't take that away from me.

Alan said...

I really enjoyed getting smoked by "Two a Day Trey" in the Horizon 5K.
I was like "Where'd he go?"
And Jared was like "Where'd who go?!?"

Tammie's Thoughts said...

I saw your mom this weekend at Zoe. I cannot believe you have not even blogged about her new husband. It was so great to see her and see her look so happy!

Anonymous said...

i also enjoyed smoking all of u in a 5k especailly since now i know it would probably be a much more evenly matched competition also i enjoyed blaming things on random groups of neighbors and their loud music

~Erin said...

My favorite memory is probably karaoke, but I also enjoy the day-long phase 10 tournaments :)

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of visiting Surfside during a trip to Houston in March 2008. I brought home a cup-sized Mason jar full of sand and shells from the beach - as well as almost 100 photographs. When I heard what Ike had done to the area, I was absolutely heartbroken. For some reason, I scoured the web today for photographs and came across your blog. I hope the house wasn't lost -- I think it was one of the houses in my photographs from last Spring ...